~ How to Pick a Bra ~
Eight out of 10 women in Singapore are wearing the wrong bra, say bra fitters. Here they show you how to buy the right bra:


Step 1: Determine Band Size
Wear an unpadded bra (this prevents your breasts from sagging) and measure in inches the distance around your rib cage just below the bust. Add 4 inches to the reading if it is even, 5 inches if it is odd.

Step 2: Get Your Cup Size
Measure around the fullest part of your bossom (usually the area across the nipples), in inches. The difference between the cup size and the band size will give your bra size.
If the difference is 1 inch, you are an A cup. Every additional inch of difference is equivalent to an increase of one cup size. So a difference of 2 inches is a B cup, 3 inches is a C cup and so on.

Step 3: Get a Good Fit
Check for fit with the Five Point Bra Test from La Senza:
Band: Should be straight across the back, with the lower edge sitting just below the shoulder blades. You should be able to slip one finger under the band.
Straps: They are too tight if you get red marks on your skin and too loose if they slip off your shoulders.
Centre: The centre of the bra in front should sit close to your breastbone. A gap means the cups are too small.
Cup: The breast should be fully covered by the cup.
Projection: The middle of the breasts should be parallel to the ground and not pointing up or down.

Signs that Your Bra is Wrong for You
Problem: Bra cups that dimple when they are hooked up. This is a sign that the cups are too large.
Solution: Go down one cup size, tighten your bra straps or insert padding into the cups.

Problem: Cups that runneth over. This means the cups are either too small or the bra's front cut is too low.
Solution: Go up one cup size or choose a bra style that offers full cup coverage.

Problem: Breast tissue spills out from the underarms. This means you are wearing the wrong bra style.
Solution: Choose a bra with a higher side panel, such as Triumph's Modern Shapes Butterfly Collection.

Problem: Back fat. Contrary to popular belief, this is caused by a bra that is too big and not one that is too tight.
Solution: Wear a bra with a smaller band size lower on your back. The band size provides 90 per cent of a bra's support, while the straps lend the other 10 per cent.

Problem: Bra straps that slip off the shoulders. This is a sign that your bra band is riding up.
Solution: You would probably need to go down one band size.


Source: The Straits Times, 17-Sep-2010.

Back